So recently I visited Boston and fell in love with it. I was thinking about the city and how much I really enjoyed being there. I decided to try my own interpretation of the classic dessert and make it into individual cakes.
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 instant vanilla pudding mix
- I container chocolate icing (or make own icing, see below)
- ½ cup milk
- Round cookie cutters or cup to cut cake into individual pieces
- Prepare 9×14 cookie sheet with butter, flour, and parchment paper.
- Pour cake mix in pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Let cake cool completely
- Prepare vanilla pudding according to box
- Combine milk with chocolate icing until it reaches spreadable consistency
- Cut cake into circles
- Spread generous amount of pudding on a piece of cake and put another piece on top
- Spread or drizzle icing on top
- Chill until ready to serve/eat
Alternate Icing: Dark Chocolate Butter cream (adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor: Cupcakes)
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick) at room temperature
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Place butter and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is soft and well combined. Stop the machine and add the confectioners’ sugar and 3 tablespoons water. Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy. Add up to 1 more tablespoon warm water if the frosting is too stiff.