My dad’s office is having a bake sale/baking contest tomorrow and he asked if I wanted to send something it. Duh. Any chance to show off my baking abilities. I decided to make my own interpretation of a recipe from my favorite cup cake cook book.
- 1 package plain devil’s food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- Fancy topping: chopped hazelnuts dipped in Nutella and put in freezer to harden.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place cake mix, cocoa powder, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and extract in large mixing bowl. Blend with mixer on low until ingredients are blended.
- Scrape down sides of bowl, then adjust power to medium and blend for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into cup cake tins with liners about 3/4 way full.
- Bake for about 22 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then remove from pan to fully cool.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 heaping teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 2 ounces German’s sweet chocolate grated
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon water, if needed
- Place milk and instant coffee in measuring cup, heat about 30 seconds in microwave, stir until dissolved. Let cool.
- Place butter, chocolate, and coffe mixture in large mixing bowl. Blend until soft.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, blend on low speed until well incorporated. Increase speed and blend for another minute until fluffy. Add water if too stiff.
Recipe courtest of the Cake Mix Doctor: Cupcakes